Gun Violence Prevention Education Center and the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence (501-C3) (GPEC-ICHV) seeks a Development Associate to join a team that is expanding networks of, and deepening relationships with, individual, corporate, law firm, and foundation donors. This is a high responsibility position that provides full administrative support to a fast-moving team focused on educating the public about how they can reduce Illinois’ gun violence crisis.
The Gun Violence Prevention Education Center/Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence (GPEC/ICHV) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the reduction of death and injury caused by firearms. This mission is achieved by:
- Educating the public about the facts regarding firearm violence and misuse;
- Producing and publishing educational materials to inform the public about the problem of
- Serving as a clearinghouse for information on the issue of firearm violence;
- Reviewing and making recommendations regarding the fairness, enforceability, and effectiveness of regulations and criminal sanctions related to firearms;
- Working with special interest groups including health care professionals, law enforcements officials, and community groups to bring special perspectives to the issue;
- Advocating for legislative goals which would reduce the easy access to firearms; and
- Establishing a strong statewide organization with the numerical strength to translate public opinion into effective public policy.
Although GPEC/ICHV is predominantly a statewide organization, at times it conducts projects consistent with its mission on a national or regional level.
- Provides administrative and logistical support for the Executive Director, including proactive calendar management; coordination of calls/emails, travel, and meeting logistics; processing of invoices and expense reports; and entering data in our donor management system.
- Works on grant proposals and updates in coordination with the Executive Director.
- Prepares donor acknowledgments
- Maintains current, comprehensive, and reliable data, including in Salsa labs;
- Assists with the planning and execution of special events and opportunities for donor engagement
- Coordinates development team meetings and schedules internal and external meetings;
- Maintains department calendar and serves as the team lead in scheduling
- Assists with direct mail appeals and other department mailings/correspondences;
- Responds to organizational inquiries and requests for information;
- Maintains team supplies;
- Engages in proofreading, formatting, information gathering, filing, and other administrative tasks as needed across the development department;
- Provides organization-wide assistance as needed, e.g. limited back-up for receptionist and for the Executive Assistant to the President and CEO;
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Suite;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong experience with grant writing and reporting;
- Ability to prioritize, organize and complete work independently, and with discretion;
- Strong organization skills;
- Must be self-starter with an eye for detail, flexibility, good judgment as well as the ability to learn quickly and handle multiple, concurrent tasks and assignments in an effective manner;
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced, diverse and inclusive team setting, remaining flexible, resourceful and proactive
- Commitment to ending gun violence through equitable, data based solutions Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- Experience in an administrative capacity for a senior executive, preferably at a non-profit organization or related field;
- Experience working in Salsa Labs is a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working on gender and racial equity and centering communities of color in their approach to work.
- Work experience within a law firm, major company, leading nonprofit, or government agency.
This is a contract position, with pay commensurate to experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, one brief writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes should include exact start and end dates of employment specifically month and year. Electronic applications preferred. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The GPEC-ICHV is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities, women, men, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, veterans, and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, GPEC-ICHV welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com