The Gun Violence Prevention Education Center/Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence (GPEC/ICHV) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the reduction of death and injury caused by firearms. This mission is achieved by:
- Educating the public about the facts regarding firearm violence and misuse;
- Producing and publishing educational materials to inform the public about the problem of firearm violence;
- Serving as a clearinghouse for information on the issue of firearm violence;
- Reviewing and making recommendations regarding the fairness, enforceability, and effectiveness of regulations and criminal sanctions related to firearms;
- Working with special interest groups including health care professionals, law enforcements officials, and community groups to bring special perspectives to the issue;
- Advocating for legislative goals which would reduce the easy access to firearms; and
- Establishing a strong statewide organization with the numerical strength to translate public opinion into effective public policy.
Although GPEC/ICHV is predominantly a statewide organization, at times it conducts projects consistent with its mission on a national or regional level.